Google Marketing Live 2019 brought together more than 5,000 paid search marketers from more than 70 countries. Attendees heard top Google leaders make a series of important new product announcements.
It wasn’t all work. Attendees also heard Katie Perry rock the Bill Graham Auditorium during a private concert sponsored by Google.
But the main focus of attendees was a series of important announcements:
- Changes in conversion tracking will enhance smart bidding and bring new options. It will be possible to set separate conversions at the campaign level to allow the same account to optimize for multiple and different goals. Conversion action sets will allow marketers to group campaigns together to optimize bids across common conversion goals. There will also be options to indicate seasonality or business adjustments based on expected events.
- Discovery ads are feed-based ads that can include carousel ads and can show in three channels, the Discover Feed, YouTube and Gmail Promotion and Social tabs. Targeting can include customer match lists. The same easy-to-create ad format works with all three channels.
- Gallery Ads in Search – image ads that can also use a carousel format and show at the top of search engine results. To create, enter three 30-character headlines; add four to eight images and a description of each image that’s up to 70 characters. Google said early testers of the format had up to 25% more interactions.
- Bumper Machine is a new tool that will allow marketers to take: 30-second videos and create a 6-second bumper ad. The application also allows for basic audio editing. Bumper ads can be created in just minutes with Bumper Machine.
- New Audience marketing options were announced. Custom Intent and Custom Affinity will merge into Custom Audiences to allow targeting based on both behavior and interests. A new Audience Expansion tool will allow marketers to expand relevant audiences.
- Google users will be able to buy directly from shopping ads if marketers choose that option or alternatively continue to link to their site. Google promised a good user experience and the ability to manage returns, for example. Google will also expand the use of Showcase Shopping Ads.
- Local campaigns allow marketers to promote local businesses across Search, Maps, YouTube and Display. Google offers optimization aimed at increasing foot traffic to brick and mortar stores.
For more info see: